> Michael wrote:
>
> > Journalism is about asking questions and reporting the answers as
> > given, not providing "truth"; that's what religion is for.
> What?!? Journalism is about getting to the truth of something and reporting
> the
> facts. When a journalist puts in there own bias or bend, that is no longer
> journalism, it's commentary.

I think this is an awesome discussion with great point by both
yourself and Dana and one the rest of the country should join us in.
That having been said ...

I think were we disagree is that I don't think there ever is a
"truth."  (The old rule about telling the 1st person in a line of 100
a story and by the end of the line it's completely different.)

So, I think the skill in journalism is in:

1.) Knowing what to ask,
2.) Knowing who to ask it too, and
3.) Describing 1 & 2 and what your methodology was.

So, for example, if you want to know what happened in Iraq, a good
reporter knows who to ask, can get access to them, and asks them the
right questions.  In their report they should say what it was they
were trying to prove and why they asked who they did.  This is an easy
way to ferret out bias - or reporting only one side of the facts.

I think good examples of print journalism are:

1.) The Wall Street Journal
2.) The Economist
3.) The Washington Post

Good Examples of Broadcast Journalism are:

1.) The News Hour w/ Jim Lehrer

and,  ummm, .... well there's, no .... hmm ...  (I'm tempted to say
the BBC, but, well, you know)

For political analysis I like:
1.) Hardball
2.) Washington Week
3.) Shields & Brookes (on the News Hour)
4.) Meet The Press, but it's neither full analysis or journalism.

I think we should take back the word journalism and seperate it from
"media".  Journalism is different from analysis, opinion, and
entertainment.  I think only The News Hour is true journalism.