I don't think that you need to jail them, there may be ways of
predicting who would suffer from PPD with a reasonably good accuracy.
If you look at all these stories about these mothers, these women have
typically been without any supporting resources. This may be due to
poverty, religion, etc. That is the first step, ensuring that after
the birth and for the first 8 to 12 weeks, ensure that mothers with
new borns should have a certain degree of support - psychological,
nutritional , and health related at the minimum. have some sort of
social worker who specializes in parents with new born infants do in
home visits a couple of times a week. The result in the long term
would be a lot cheaper than jailing the women, especially after
they've killed or seriously injure the kid.

larry