I use a third party drive with HD Advance (which allows you to make HD
copies of most games - not all, but most).  This way I can play the games
without the discs and with faster load times (the first part is the problem
point as far as Sony is concerned).

I'm using an 80GB drive, but HD Advance (www.hdadvance.com) will support up
to a 200 GB drive.  Most games are 2GB but most kids games are less.  Some
games are more (FF X-2, GrandTheft Auto, etc).

It works well.  NDAS (Sony's network integrity checker) will bomb from the
HD so you can't play networked games from there (although you can play games
like RE: OutBreak and FF 11 IF the disc is in the drive).  Some games just
don't work (like "Jak 3" for example) but most do.

For me it's been great mostly because I put all of the kids games on the
drive and they can launch them without getting peanut butter on the discs.
;^)

Jim Davis