Well since we haven't yet been able to get our organization to adopt a
real CMS, we do everything either with Contribute or focused, scratch
written CF apps to manage news and such.

I don't find the things you describe to be Contribute's strong point.
The problem isn't in writing the news article, it's great for that.
It's what you do with the article once it's written that is the
problem. Typically you'll want it to be linked from some news
headlines page. And then you might want to have old news headlines
drop to an archive page. But with Contribute, that all has to be done
manually. No automation.

I'm right there with you though about implementing stuff for people
who are "too busy" to maintain it. Contribute doesn't help with that,
unless the problem is really that the existing systems are too much
trouble to bother with and that translates to "too busy". I can say
though that for our static content sites using Contribute, our
maintenance time has dropped off significantly.

-Kevin