Wait - how can it NOT be a deterrent?  There are people that cut me off at
the traffic circle on my way home every day, I have some enemies, but I
certainly won't kill them.  Why?  Cause I don't want to spend my life in a
cell or die from Lethal Injection.

Side note: I probably couldn't kill anyone anyways, no matter how much I
hate them.  I'd rather just smoke a doobie and chill my emotions out.  I am
just trying to explain that without fear of repercussion, people would be
free to do what they want.

So, I think that the death penalty does deter violent crime.  Maybe some
don't think things through (think crimes of passion here) before committing
them, but for the most part, it works.