Well, i agree with you to a point.  To those people that fit any or all of
the three criteria you presented, the penalty, whatever it is, is not a
deterrent.  IMO, those people don't deserve a place in a civilized
society.  BUT - for the rest of us, we think about the results of our
actions.  Therefore, any penalty, even a fine for speeding, is a deterrent.

For most of us, a structured penalty system keeps us in check.  The death
penalty is an extreme case, but it still is a deterrent nonetheless.  The
people who ignore the deterrents are the ones that have no place in
society.  They should be locked up.

And, while we are at it, I also think that rape should be a punishable by
death offense.  They have effectively ruined the entire life of a (usually)
young woman.  She will never be the same.  Why should that sicko be allowed
back on the streets?  Disagree?  Now think if that was your wife or
daughter or even a close friend.  Do you still disagree?

Sorry, got off on a tangent there.  Rape is one of those things that really
fires me up.

Ray