The vast majority of fiction written is not original. How much of
fantasy is a reworking of the ideas of Tolkein? How many authors have
written Romeo and Juliet stories? Would it shock you to learn that
even Shakespeare did not originate the Romeo and Juliet story? The
story was written some 100 years earlier and a couple other authors
rewrote versions of it before Shakespeare got to it.

IMO, the problem isn't that the Wachowski's wrote an unoriginal story.
The problem is that the studios had the Stewart work and deliberately
killed it, _and then_ created a derivative, and didn't compensate
Stewart.

-Kevin