That is the true beauty of a tansu. It is a bunch of potentially mismatched
chests that are stacked to provide steps up to another floor. Think of it as
the storage under steps as well as the steps. Each step/unit does not have to
match. They don't need to be of the same wood, the same size, or of the same
construction technique. Which is very good for an amateur woodworker. (It's not
SUPPOSED to match). Just build your first box. Then build another. And stack
them. Keep building till you are done.

Mine is a 5x5, with roughly 18" steps, 24" deep. Some are drawers, some doors,
one open. One 18" cube has 8 game drawers (one board game and pieces per
drawer.) One 36"x36" cube has my tv and dvd player.

If you really want to get good at dovetails, build (and gift) an apothicary
chest. After 40 drawers you will have the basic concepts down!
http://www.stanpikedesigns.com/apcab1.htm

As for building drawers, hand cut dovetails are easy, so the basic construction
of a drawer is simple. But file drawers carry a lot of weight, and need to
slide smoothly. They may not be the best starting point. (my drawers do not
have slides)

The first question you need to answer is: is the file cabinet for files? if so,
the bottom can be pretty week, as long as all the files hang form the top on
rails. The second question is: do you need to match an existing
wood/finish/style?

I might suggest buying an unfinished hardwood file cabinet and assembling it
($80). You could replace the drawer face with your own, add new hardware, and
maybe even build a new carcass that matches your shelves. (I did this for my
parents, who needed to match the existing interior on their trailer). If you do
build it yourself, do not skimp on the drawer slides. They are the most
important part.

Jerry Johnson
Web Developer
Dolan Media Company

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 01/10/05 04:03PM >>>
I wasn't sure what a Step Tansu was eaither. Thanks for the pics. The
tansu is really cool. I'm not bold enough to delve into building one
quite yet. I've yet to build a drawer. I've only made simple-to-medium
shelving units so far.

I need to add a two-drawer file cabinet to my built in shelves/desk in
the office. Any tips or pointers for a novice like myself?