From: Charlie Griefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 4:36 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: Re: Adult ADD

i was told i had symptoms, altho there was no 'official' diagnosis.  a
psychiatrist I was seeing said the symptoms were there, and he
prescribed strattera.

however, a few months later, i was diagnosed with sleep apnea (which
really has all of the symptoms of ADD).  At that point, I dropped the
strattera and looked into treating the sleep apnea.  Unfortunately,
the treatment is that you get to sleep with a huge honkin' machine
next to you and a mask over your face that pushes air into your nose
when you inhale.  Even more unfortunate was the fact that 3 days after
I got the machine, I moved across country and needed to return it (it
was a rental thru the insurance from my previous job).  As soon as
insurance kicks in at the new place (march 1), I'll look into getting
another machine (or possible surgical alternatives).

long story short...might want to have a sleep study set up at a sleep
clinic.  especially if you've ever recalled waking up not breathing.
I recall it happening to me on rare occassions...but they say if you
can recall it at all, it's likely happening more that you don't
remember (you wake up and fall back asleep without realizing it).
During my sleep study, they said I went 40 times over the course of
one night without breathing for 10 seconds or more (and that was
diagnosed as -mild- sleep apnea).