I'm going by what the President gave as his central reason. Not a
hodgepodge of sentences scattered about by different members of the
administration. The threat Saddam posed to the world by the
possibility he had the weapons and his refusing to prove he didn't.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/01/20030128-23.html

-sm