Michael T. Tangorre wrote:
>>From: Deanna Schneider [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>But, then I married this guy that had school loans and we
>>paid those off in one feel swoop. Ah, love. It makes you do
>>crazy things.
>

> Ouch! The interest rate on school loans is betweeen 2-3.5%... The money you
> could have earned on investing the money over 30 or 40 years would have been
> way more than the money spent on interest on the school loans. The only
> reason I comment on this is that my fiance and I are both well into school
> debt, but no other debt. Combined we have about 110K. Our first reaction was
> to pay it off as soon as possible, paying about 2K a month in loan payments
> to save 9K in interest by paying it off in 5 years instead of 15 or 20.
> However, going from a $900 combined payment to $2000 combined payment was a
> difference of 1100 per month that could have been invested. Do some
> calculations on a Roth IRA and put in the max contirbution per year and see
> what the numbers are over 30 years.... WOW!... That 9K in interest is
> nothing compared to the 500K you just made over the long haul!

You should be a little clear.  You have to compare to the same time
period.  Basically you have to ask your self, "Can I get a better rate
of return on this $1100 then 2-3.5% over the next x years the lone is
active."  Then you have to PV the money because 500K in 30 years isn't
worth 500K today.  At present ROR, I'm guessing the numbers are a lot
closer then you think.

PS not advice.  You are smart to make your own decisions.

--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.

Ron Artest: Extremely flawed, very accidental, semi-martyr