G wrote:
>>I believe the US Supreme Court has allows U of Mich to practice AA in
>>their Law School.  Of course the case was not helped because the
>>plaintiff, if the WSJ reporting is correct, had very poor scores across
>>the board.
>>
>>Rumor was that the Undergrad Admission's Affirmative Action principles
>>would be tweaked so it would be more like the Law School and thus
>>Constitutional.
>>
>>As a side, I support AA even though it represents the greatest hurdle
>>for acceptance into the most prestigious universities for me and other
>>Asians.  Why?  Because it's unfair if the only difference between a
>>decent life and a life of indigence is opportunity.
>>

> You cannot fix an unfair system by making it even more unfair.

I agree the first part is unfair.  Perhaps the 2nd part is unfair.  The
Supreme Court would disagree with you.  More over, graduate programs at
elite programs often have a way of weeding out the weak.  Of course
there are always exceptions.  But poor minorities often don't have the
means to make it through unless they can show at least a competent
understanding of the material.

Again, it would be in my personal best interest if Affirmative Action
was outlawed.  It's rather anti-Randian of me to support an idea that is
so directly against me, but I'm Kantian so I have no regrets.

--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.

Ron Artest: Extremely flawed, very accidental, semi-martyr