At a first glance through, try not naming your named styles with a
hyphen in the name. I know it wasn't allowed in CSS1. I can't recall
off hand if it is supported in CSS2.

Inheritence is partly dependent on the nesting of items but can be
overruled by the specificity of the selector. I haven't looked closely
to see if that's what's happening.

-Kevin