> Mine does the same thing - she always has water out... but she truly prefers
> the toilet.
>
> I assume because it's fresher but who knows, maybe she just likes the
> posture.  ;^)

According to a local pet behaviorist, animals are attracted to moving
water because in nature moving water is fresh while still water can
often be stagnant and even choked with toxins. Sinks, toilets, even
drinking glasses are often perceived as being safer than water left
sitting for days in a dish.

And since we are often seen as the dominant animal in the household,
the water that we interact with more frequently is also apparently
accepted as safer.

-Kevin