> Larry wrote:
> Employment equity is only one part of the equation.
> With the way school funding is
> structured, with most of all available funds going to the richest
> school districts, and very little going to the poorest, AA will be a
> joke. Only by leveling the playing field will you get employment
> equality.

This is a great post - the smartest person in the world will fail if
they don't know they're smart or what their options are.

In my experience that's the hardest thing to overcome - wealthy people
know the system and tell their kids, associates, and friends.  Middle
class or poor kids just don't know what their options are and have to
try to figure it out.  Usually this is over the din of bad advice from
their family and friends.  By the time they figure it out, it's
usually too late to take the easy route.

Secondly, you can almost equate early education with parenting.
Obviously you need a good school, but if the parent(s) don't create a
good environment, then you've got a big hill to climb.

Finally there's the problem with "teaching to the most needy."  Smart
kids don't get the resources and challenge they need because the
content needs to be tailored to the weakest students.  That can mean
they get bored and wash out.