Ars has a nice two-part overview on the processor:

http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

I'm hoping that the next generation begins to leverage the processor less
than the GPU.  Procedural programming and physical models are the way of the
future and has the potential to make game environments enormously more
organic and realistic.

It's not ridiculous to say that the streaming vector units on the PS2 have
been almost solely responsible for keeping the unit competitive against the
Xbox.  I hope some of that expertise can be leverage to the Cell (which is
really just 8 "vector CPUs" controlled by a simplistic PPC).

The guys at Naughty Dog were really the first to successfully leverage those
vector units for the PS2 - I can't wait to see what they've got in store for
the PS3.  Where Naughty Dog goes Sucker Punch and Insomniac will soon
follow.

I'm also dying to see how the controller has changed for PS3 (they say it
will be changing "significantly").  I LOVE the dual shock, but I would like
to see more trigger-like l2/r2 buttons and there's potential for more.  I've
often thought that pressure plates on the grips (which react with analog
precision to the tightness of the grip) would be great so some things.

If you've played "Silent Hill" you know that your grip tightens naturally
when you're pummeling a closer with a pipe - it would be great if the
controller responded to that natural action.

Also I'd love to a see biometrics included in the controller (and they
wouldn't be expensive).  Motion detection (to recognize jitter and
controller pitch/yaw/roll) would be cheap and able to pick up those times
that you "lean into" the controller when making a jump or driving.  A simple
temperature sensor could be leveraged into a simple "mood" detector.

All of these things would be cheap but, if standard, could be leveraged all
sorts of ways in all sorts of games.

More pragmatically I would REALLY like to see built in wireless controllers
(with a mounted recharging station).  It would also be VERY nice to have a
built in microphone on the controller itself, perhaps even a headset jack.

Most rumors also have a next-generation eye-toy as a standard for the PS3 -
some even have dual eye toys (for depth perceptive stereo vision).  It would
be really cool to see the latter.

Jim Davis