Exactly. The only reason Martin did not go in is because the Liberals
have a minority government which means that the other parties can
legally collude to force an election.

Martin has been flip-flopping on the issue for a while. He is just
playing a clever balancing act to counter his precarious political
position within Canada.

There was no financial burden to Canada for this. It only meant that
they would be in the room when decisions on how these situations would
be handled if one were to occur.  Now, Canadian representatives will
not be allowed to sit on those talks.

As Mike said...political posturing.

- Frank