Dana, I've provided the refs several times. Terry Shaivo has been
diagnosed as fbeing in a Persistent Vegitative State, the BMS and AMA
have very specific prognosis - after 3-6 months (US) or 1 year
(england) the chances of recovering from this condition is nill.
Moreover any basic neuropsych book will describe PVS and changes to
the cortex that occur. I'm not going to give you any cites on this
since its such a basic finding. Terri Shaivo first went into a PVS
over 15 years ago with significant brain damage - its become much
worse since. There  is no recovery from this.

larry