This is exactly how they work - they rewrite the page as it's streaming in.

This can play some havoc with pages that depend on that script too much.
There are also certain "Viruses" that can be distributed via script (they're
actually not really "viruses" but rather "exploits", but still - they is bad
things).

I know that McAfee does a lot of this - and I think I remember Norton doing
the same thing.

Even if you're having problems I believe you could still open a local script
and run it (because they don't actually affect the browser settings).

> changing the browser settings internally. I could be wrong, but I had
> a hard time understanding how it was that they could selectively
> remove banner adds otherwise (a feature of Norton's last I knew).

They use several methods but Norton's was one of the worst: they simply
eliminate ANY graphic that's the same dimensions of common ads.  I went
CRAZY one day trying to find out why my graphics weren't appearing in my CF
output - then I discovered that Norton was doing it.

It doesn't place a comment inline (so you could see it when viewing source)
or ANYTHING.

It's one of the main reasons I gave up on Norton (that and the fact that
it's spam tool couldn't be turned off or uninstalled AT ALL).

Most better engines simply refuse to fetch graphics from known advertisers -
this seems to cut down a significant percentage for me.

Jim Davis