I ran the comment you mentioned past William Woodruff of Chloe Imports
from Seattle, WA on Saturday. He chuckled and said that the people of
Bordeaux, Pommeral, Cotes Du Rhone and even Burgundy would be quite
surprised to hear that people in France don't drink (or like) Merlot.

But he also confirmed that the merchant may have been referring to the
fact that the French prefer their Merlot blended and that it is indeed
very difficult to find Merlot as 100% of the bottle content.

HTH

--
will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher