Both are interesting pieces. But the fact that the conservatives have
funded a bevy of foundations is hardly news. Nor is the fact that they
are helping with court costs exactly shocking. This *is* a right to
life case, at least from the parents' point of view. You can find out
more about the foundations, if you are interested, in a book I just
finished called Banana Republicans and another that was recommended to
me that I haven't read yet called Don't Think of an Elephant. If y'ou
need me to I'll get you the authors/publishers.

I found one comment in the former especially interesting -- apparently
the idea is to campaign 'as though America is watching with the sound
turned down'.  I think but am not totally sure that it was Karl Rove
that said that -- I can check if it matters. But just this week I was
eating my huevos rancheros at the local diner and sure enough, they
had the local news on with the sound turned down. Bush was in town and
there was a large sign as backdrop that said "Keeping our Promise to
America's Seniors."

Now, since I did not want to sign a loyalty oath to the Republicans, I
did not even bother trying to get tickets to this event, and I also
gave the coverage a miss as I am tired of the Social Security issue
and the newspaper here always supports Bush regardless, so I didn.t
have a lot of faith in their analysis. But I'm pretty sure that this
was not the content we would have gotten with the sound turned up.

The Banana Republicans book cites a "cognitive linguist" --
interesting term, that -- about the Republican's genius at getting
their message out without ever quite saying anything provably false.
There is another story about a reporter who ran a story very critical
of the Bush administration, who was surprised when its officials
thanked her for the coverage. See, when she ran footage of some of
their planned photo ops while a voiceover explained how full of it
they were, what registered were the pictures of happy seniors and
black children, or whatever the specifics were, I forget. And in
effect when she played the footage and asked people what they
remembered that was what registered, the visuals.

Now in the media coverage on Terri Schiavo I notice a couple of themes
keep being repeated over and over, and I wonder if the Democrats have
been taking notes.

1) Let her die - assumes she wants to die

2) 19 judges have ruled - no, one has ruled, 18 others have said the
law was complied with.

3) If you were in a coma would you want Congress to decide - she is
not in a coma, Congress is not deciding.

4) the eating disorder (gee it's all her own neurotic fault) has gone
from "perhaps" in the GAL's report to being repeatedly reported as
fact.

5) She had three guardians ad litem. Why? Why not one?

6) She has no cortex. Maybe. Looks like we will never know for sure.

Dana

PS -- I will look at the links over the weekend.