If "rumors" is defined as "testimony not allowed in the court case"
then yes, it's rumors. Kinda like that rumor that neurology has
progressed since PVS was initially defined back in what, 1972.

other "rumors":

-- Terri was planning to move out and had made definite plans to share
an apartment with a friend.

-- The paramedics responsing to the case flagged it as suspicious for
domestic violence.

But personally, I find starving someone to death against their will to
be sufficiently abusive. I also find the following most instructive --
it provides a paradigm which accounts for the actions of Judge Greer.

http://www.theempirejournal.com/0313055_schiavogate_the_big_cove.htm

(snip)

 "Guardianship is an area ripe for fraud and where most fraud abuse
has in fact occurred", DeBlaker has said. Particularly critical of the
way that the Sixth Circuit Court judges handle guardianships is Robert
W. Melton, chief deputy director internal audit division, certified
public accountant, certified fraud examiner with the Pinellas County
Circuit Court. During public hearings conducted by the Florida
Guardian Task Force appointed by Florida legislators to address
guardianship reform, Melton testified that in his office was being
"stonewalled" in their attempts to audit guardianship.

  According to a report appearing in the April, 2004 issued of the
Gulf Coast Business Review by Francis Gilpin, associate editor,
Melton told the task force that "In Pinellas County, attempts are
being made to limit the clerk's authority", a county where George
Greer is the Administrative Judge of the Probate Division.  "This
ranges from guardians that refuse to submit to an audit unless a court
order is received, to judges that question the authority of the clerk
to use professional auditing staff to conduct the audits".

   While Melton advocates opening the guardianship process to public
review, Greer is opposed to that practice.   Melton said openness
would be one way to prevent improprieties,  making public the initial
inventories of wards' estates and the annual accountings of assets
that guardians are required to file with the court. "The lack of
public scrutiny breeds misdeeds and misappropriations because people
who may know the truth would not have access", according to Melton.

 Greer has reportedly said that he sees more potential for financial
abuse by immediate family members who create guardianships or gain
power of attorney status than by professional guardians.   Melton told
the task force that there have been times when a Pinellas judge, whom
he did not name, has prevented clerk's auditors from examining the
entire record of a guardianship case.

   Melton told the task force that the assets of wards are being
transferred into pooled trusts that he says operate imprudently
outside the supervision of the courts.  He adds that the real estate
of wards is being sold at below-market prices to land trusts whose
owners don't have to be disclosed.  Pooled trusts are promoted as a
legal method for wards to maintain Medicaid eligibility in nursing
homes, according to Melton.

   "When we have both guardians and judges trying to keep auditors
out, we have a system ripe for corruption and fraud", Melton said.

    Former chief Judge F. Dennis Alvarez of the 13th Circuit,
Hillsborough County, says that Pinellas County has historically
resisted guardianship reform. Perhaps that's because there's big money
to be made among lawyers and other players in
guardianships---particularly in the disposition of assets of wards
including real and personal property including real estate, jewelry
and antiques in addition to the guardian fees.

  Melton says that Pinellas judges, which include George Greer, not
only keep court records hidden from public view but are anxious to
extend the cloak of secrecy to the audits.  In February, 2004, Melton
recommended to Chief Judge David Demers that he take a closer look at
guardianships in the Sixth Circuit.

  Greer recently unsuccessfully challenged Demers for the position of
chief judge of the circuit.

   In 2002, the same year as Schindlers filed their previous petition
before Greer for the removal of Schiavo, ignored by Greer, court
auditors concluded that court officials had failed to monitor
guardianships carefully.  The clerk's office, which systematically
reviews about 2,400 guardianships in Pinellas County annual, set up a
fraud hotline.  Te report suspected fraud in a guardianship to county
auditors, call 727-453-3728.

     While conducting audits of guardianship reports, the Pinellas
clerk's office discovered serious irregularities.  Pinellas County
state attorney Bernie McCabe confirmed in 2003 that a preliminary
inquiry had been initiated by his office into selected Pinellas
guardianships.  However, despite the by then well-publicized failure
of Michael Schiavo to file his required guardianship plans and
accountings, McCabe took no action in that case.  He opened an inquiry
into Adult Comprehensive Protection Services which managed the assets
of 300 of the county's elderly and infirm and which had allegedly
mismanaged the funds of some of the county's most vulnerable
residents.

   The inquiry was stonewalled when the ACPS attorney denied access to
minutes of the agency's board of directors.  The attorney was Richard
Pearse, the former guardian ad litem in the Terri Schiavo case  Pearse
had recommended that the feeding tube not be removed in his GAL report
to Greer in 1999.  Thereafter, Schiavo petitioned Greer for Pearse's
removal as GAL and Greer complied. Since then, Greer has refused to
appoint a new guardian ad litem, acting in the role
himself---prohibited by Canon 3 of the state Code of Judicial Conduct.
 No judge may serve as a guardian unless the ward is a member of his
own family.

   Melton and other critics say the court system favors the guardian.
When court challenges are raised to a guardianship as in the Schiavo
case, the proof needed by the petitioner is in documents which are
sealed by the court---and Greer----claiming its for the protection of
the ward.  When complaints are made to law enforcement agencies such
as in the Schiavo case, officials such as McCabe---with a prohibited
conflict of interest with Greer, and former Sheriff Everett Rice who
also had a prohibited conflict of interest with Greer as well as being
a member of the board of directors of the Hospice Foundation of
Florida Suncoast, a  subsidiary of the corporation operating the
hospice where Terri Schiavo is a resident, claim it's a civil matter
being handled by the courts.

   According to critics, guardianships are based on the assumption
that the court will provide oversight, the guardian will be honest and
discharge his duties toward the ward responsibly.

  "When we have both guardians and judges trying to keep the auditors
out, we have a system ripe for corruption and fraud", De Blaker and
Melton told the task force.  "The practices I have seen in the short
time I have been involved in guardianships is shocking", Melton said.
"It's time to put an end to unscrupulous practices at the expense of
our state's most vulnerable citizens".

   Politically connected attorneys who stand to profit handsomely from
guardianship fees are involved with alleged guardianship abuse.  In
Greer's 2004 reelection campaign, a massive $144,000 was raised in
campaign contributions, said to be the largest amount ever raised in a
judicial campaign.  More than half of those contributors were
attorneys----attorneys whose practices in real estate, probate, wills
and elder law stand to profit greatly from guardianships to which they
are court appointed by probate judges such as George W. Greer. .