I always have seen the threads that state "My manager decided that CF
costs money, so we have decided to use technology that is free".

You know the threads I'm talking about.

Well, this morning, that came true for me.  I was told we don't have the
budget for CF Enterprise (even though we just got a $15,000,000 grant
last year and are purchasing a $2-3,000,000 business system) so CF is on
its way out in the next year.

The office of university relations has been wanting us to get a content
management system CMS so we can better distribute content chores to
different departments rather than tying up the web developers.

Well, to counter that, my manager said, we will use Microsoft's
Sharepoint Portal server.  "It is an excellent CMS application!"

My mgr also told me that the main reason we are dropping ColdFusion is
that EVERY OTHER application server vendor does not charge you to
purchase additional licenses to cluster applications.  If we built a web
cluster to load balance, we would have to purchase the same number of CF
licenses as physical servers.  He said no other vendor requires that.
You pay for a single license and you are free to use on any load
balanced cluster.

I have spent the last seven years using CF and have such a background
that I can quickly get apps up and running, although they may not be
totally efficient, but I can fix those at a later time when time is not
as critical.

Now, we are getting three large web-based applications, all built in
Java or MS technology, dropping ColdFusion and yet the number of
application requests continue to increase.  Wait until we get our
business system running.  Then, requests will skyrocket.

So, that leaves me at point-zero with Java, people jumping on my ass to
get development requests built using technology no one at our campus has
ever seen, and little to no budget for training or other resources.
(Except we have a coupon for an IBM Java class or two.)

It just really seems unrealistic to totally dump all the CF knowledge,
start at nothing with Java and still expect to get more work done than
ever before.

I don't really expect any replies about the justifications of CF vs
other technologies.  It won't help.  This guy came from IBM and is very
deep in MS's ass as well.  MS hung the moon and lit the stars, if you
know what I mean.

I just wanted to bitch to you guys.  You guys who probably understand
this situation as well.

Now, I have to try to figure out how to get three totally-different web
portals, running on different application servers and physical servers,
to appear as a single entity.

Oh well.  My day sucks royally!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Find out how CFTicket can increase your company's customer support 
efficiency by 100%
http://www.houseoffusion.com/banners/view.cfm?bannerid=49

Message: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=i:5:152421
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/threads.cfm/5
Subscription: http://www.houseoffusion.com/lists.cfm/link=s:5
Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=11502.10531.5
Donations & Support: http://www.houseoffusion.com/tiny.cfm/54

Reply via email to