Actually Santa is an amalgamation but is thought to be, at least, part,
representative of certain pieces of pagan folklore.

"Christmas" (which existed as a Winter festival of life long before
Christians appeared) was molded by early Christians into a day of religious
significance much as the spring fertility festival (later "Easter") was.

It "just so happened" that Jesus was born and resurrected on two of the most
important pagan holidays.  ;^)

Jim Davis