Of course you can't forget to add the legend of Kris Kringle which was, for
the most part, secular.  It's unclear which influences the modern tradition
more St. Nick or Kringle.

You can also throw in the "King of Revels" and "Father Christmas" and
several versions of Scandinavian "santas" going back to the time of the
Vikings.  None of were particularly solemn or religious.  More often than
the whole thing was just an excuse to party with hard drink and lots of
food.  We still see a small shadow of that in the "Milk and Cookies"
tradition, but originally it was porridge and beer.  ;^)

As for St Nicholas it was tradition to give presents on his day - December
4th or 6th if I remember correctly.  It took a long time for him (and
presents!) to be associated with Christmas.

As for the festival itself (normally a festival of the Winter Solstice) and
presents that dates back well into Roman times.  The festival was often
associated with Bacchus or Pan (or other "party gods").

Personally we celebrate Christmas but none of the religious traditions.
We're purely secular on that score.  ;^)

Jim Davis