all I can tell you is that Stanford's rationale is that these are kids
whose instructors have *not* been teaching to the test, and thus are
more likely to be innovative thinkers. And you are quite right,
ironically, homeschoolers tend to ace the tests anyway. When they were
required to take competency exams in New Mexico, they were
consistently in the top three groups in the state. Probably why they
were excused :P it got embarassing.

Dana