> I know fuel cells show promise, and some of the new hydrogen storage
> substrates are demonstrating immense capacities, but I wonder what all that
> heat and water vapor are going to do to the environment.  Anyone have any
> insight on this?

Believe me, I am all for fuel cell technology. Until a class I took last week.

Unfortunately, the process used to make fuel cells is going to be
their downfall... The generation of Hydrocarbons requires combustion
of fossil fuel, which in large scale production, would rival the
output of fossil fuel generation in place today.

No net gain.

Now, if someone should invent a clean way to generate Hydrogen...and
make it not so explody...that'd be great...

:-)

--
will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher