>> Sam wrote:
>> Sorry to say this bud but Bush might be remembered like Reagan :)
>>

>The odds of that are nil:
>
>1.) Economically - barring a huge change, failure: massive spending.

Very similar to Reagan in Defense buildup. Reagan also proposed cutting Social
Security increases.

>2.) Domestically - large assault on state's rights, removed police/fire
>funding.

I don't agree with your assessment.

>3.) Internationally - alienated most every nation on multiple continents.

That's just not true. The countries that don't like us didn't like us before
Bush. They all loved Clinton, the internationalist, but they hate Bush because
he believes in peace through strength, just like Reagan did.

>4.) Afghanistan - huge success only to be f'd up by diverting
>resources into Iraq boondoggle.

Not true. We were never going to committ huge resources to Afghanistan. Why
should we? It has no strategic value.

We have accomplished our goals - remove Taliban from power, isolate bin Laden,
help Afghans start to build democracy.  We didn't get bin Laden at Tora Bora,
but he can't do anything whereever he is now. Eventually we'll either get him
or he'll die in isolation. Fine with me.

>5.) Iraq - see Afghanistan boondoggle.  This failure will carry over
>into other terms like 'nam.

Your opinion of Iraq is not shared by everyone. I happen to think we're doing a
fair job of it given the circumstances.

>6.) Environment - head in the sand.

How so?

>7.) Entitlements - went after the wrong thing (SS vs MA/MC) and failed.

Wrong. Democrats are not about to engage in reforming Medicare/Medicaid, any
more than they are going to engage in reforming Social Security. These programs
are the centerpiece of the welfare state created by the best of the 20th
century Democratic Party. I predict that the Democratic Party is going to ride
these programs right into the ground. Democrats will not budge an inch until
voters have realized the totally unsustainable nature of these programs and
they deal the Dems a HUGE, HUGE blow at the polls in a future election. I think
the failure of the Democrats to engage in a productive debate about reform is a
shortsighted tactic to frustrate Bush that will ultimately become the single
biggest mistake of U.S. domestic politics in the 21st century.

>Outlook : where most Presidents get an afterglow, Mr. Bush  will max
>out at ~50% and then decline as his policy choices come home to roost
>with future Presidents.  Mr. Bush stands a high likelyhood of becoming
>the scapegoat President.

Who knows? If Iraq and Afghanistan succeed at building stable democracies for
the long term, Bush will get credit for changing the Middle East, whatever
difficulties they encounter along the way. Bush will also get credit for his
foresight in trying to deal with SS.