>Hi Everyone,
>Gonna get an LCD monitor soon - everything I've bought so far has been
>CRT.  Is it worth the extra $$$ to go for the digital instead of the
>analog input?  I realize the response is going to relate to "depends on
>what you use it for", so for general use, multimedia, gaming, etc...  Is
>ghosting really noticable on the analogs?  Is that extra 10ms response
>time that much more noticable?

The first question that comes to mind is does your video card have DVI output?
;^)

I think the main problem is that there really isn't a price difference between
the two.  However cheapy monitors often drop the digital connection to save
money - but you may not be happy with their picture quality in any case.

Most decent monitors have both (although some of the cheaper ones have only one
port - you'd use an adapter to move from digital to analog).

Another question is whether you ever have any plans to go dual monitor at some
point.

DVI makes dual monitors sing, but dual DVI video cards can be expensive.  Using
one DVI and one Analog port on the same monitors will often expose differences
between analog and DVI that you might not notice otherwise.

In general for dual use I'd try to stick with the same connection type for both.

Another question: do you ever want to use a KVM switch?

DVI-capable KVMs are still REALLY expensive compared to analog ones.  So if you
want to run a KVM you may be still with analog no matter what your preference.

Lastly keep in mind that most 19" LCDs really don't give you more room than an
18.1" LCD - they both generally run at 1280x1024 so with the former you get the
same amount of information only (very slightly) larger.

If you have a choice of a good 18.1" or a decent 19" I'd always go with the
18.1".

Just in the interest of disclosure: I run two 18.1" "neoview" LCDs which were
squarely in the cheap end (I paid $600 each about two years ago).  I love them
- they have single port analog and DVI and include built-in TV Tuners (non-HD).
 I run them both in DVI off a geForce 6800 Ultra (at the time the only Dual-DVI
gaming card available).

Jim Davis