I was talking to a client yesterday and they said that they had a choice
between upgrading their own auction code from 2000 or buying a product like
Beyond Solutions. I was honest with them and told them that when last I saw the
Beyond Solutions code I wanted to do things to the programmers that the marque
de sade would be ashamed of. It was that bad.
But that was code from 2 years back and it may have changed so I called the
company and explained that their code sucked 2 years back, I have a licensed
copy and would like to look over some code samples in order to evaluate what it
looks like and if I should suggest it to the client. 10 minutes of BS.
"We don't force our programmers to a certain style"
"as long as it works, what does it matter what it looks like underneath"
"well, if the person modifying the code is not up to par..."
and on and on. Bottom line is that they would send me testimonials and show me
sites, but I'd have to buy the product to say if I want it for the client. No
code sample, no understanding of the issue, a lot of hemming and hawing around
the issue.
Well, looks like I'll be modifying an old auction site rather than sending
business to Beyond Solutions. I'd suggest anyone who wants to use their
solutions try to look at the code first. It may work, but....