They simply suffer the same problem that many large organizations of their
ilk do. They receive disproportionately large monetary donations from a
handful of people. These people have their specific agendas. Some are good,
some are suspect. The organization sees that the money is used to further
these agendas.

Why give my money to that? I much prefer smaller organizations where I've
got a better idea of what my money is ACTUALLY going towards (local animal
shelters are my favorite).

When the ACLU takes up the side of a cause I agree with, they have my
support....getting the 10 commandments out of government offices, for one.
But I just can't justify a continual monetary donation to them.

And I'm not sure I agree with your ascertion that you have to go "over the
top" to get normal stuff done. When an organization starts going "over the
top", they start to trivialize themselves in my mind (PETA for example).