> Larry  wrote:
> Where and when? The cases that the ACLU have taken on are constitutionally
> based.

The teacher with the cross around her neck is maybe one - however
there is an issue here:

1.) On the one hand the teacher has a right to express her religion
(cross, yamaka, head scarf)

2.) On the other, children may see this as an endorsement of  religion
by the school.

For example, let's say a police officer wears cross and pulls you
over.  That MAY be an endorsement.  Let's say he paints the cross on
his nightstick or gun.  That IS over the line.  And if we're going to
have the "personal freedom" argument, why ever have uniforms?  Why
have a dress code for teachers?  Should they be free to endorse any
lifestyle they'd like?  How about if the teacher had a pentagram or
Nazi symbol?

When you actually consider all of the possibilities the innocent cross
starts setting a precedent for things we don't like.

So, I guess  I don't agree that the question should be asked and the
only way to ask it is to bring suit.