> Larry wrote:
> I'm surprised that anyone has children
> in this area.

That's trick my wife and I are using.

We both come from lower middle class backgrounds and so had lots of
school debt and no good "fast start" advice when growing up.  Being
lower middle class also means you don't have many "living well" role
models or even people to talk with.  For example, if you want to go
into law there's nobody to tell you the inside scoop.

We've set some financial goals to meet before we have kids and that
means I'll be about 40 by the time we have our first one which is a
bit risky, but we're hoping it all works out.  Gotta stay in shape
though!  We also have LOTS of life insurance.

About "living well"  - we have some family friends that are a young
family that both work low paying jobs: he's a cook and she's a gas
station attendant that is paid in cash.  While they don't have
anything brand new, they have enough and they have time and they seem
very happy.  If living well is about family, then they live well.  If
it's about a BMW, then they don't.  (BMW, of course, be the lesser of
the luxury marques :)