> On 7/6/05, S. Isaac Dealey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hey... do you have any recommendations for researching
>> Norse mythology? Books, sites, etc?

> Not anything I consider really definitive. Not like Edith
> Hamilton for the Greek mythology. The thing with so much
> of mythology is that it was generally oral tradition so
> just reading one telling of the stories is rarely THE
> story. And of course, with neo-paganism there's been a
> lot of dilution as well. So I just read a random
> assortment of it, some history, and try to sort wheat
> from chaff.

Yea, I was hoping for something like an anthological or a research
piece that uses several (or many) sources with a good bibliography.

> It's interesting though, I was watching Troy last night
> and realized that I grew up more on greek mythology than
> judeo-christian. Not to say that I'm really knowledgeable
> about greek mythology either, but it was just an
> interesting self observation.

Tiff and I watched that recently... Still haven't seen Alexander
yet... We liked it. They gave Brad some really good lines. When he
wasn't dragging corpses through the dirt. ;P I remember a friend of
mine (who got his Bachelors in English in Rome with the intent of
entering the seminary to become an eastern orthodox priest) who'd read
a lot more history than I have that the word the Greeks used to
describe Achilles' anger doesn't have an english equivalent, and that
it was normally reserved for attribution to the gods (like "hubris"
describes conceit but only when a person believes their skills to be
superior to those of a god)... Basically that human beings weren't
capable of that much anger -- with the exception of Achilles. :P

s. isaac dealey   954.522.6080
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with
the onTap open source framework