First question what does the kid like to do?

One thing - local zoos frequently have special summer programs you may
want to check out.

Also what about camping, fishing or hiking - I caught my first fish
when I was 6, that was memorable.

Also look at living history events in your area, not just Renfaire
stuff, but Civil War reenactors, or something like Williamsburg
Virginia etc. The kid may find that sort of thing really great.

larry