A fair amount of the hardware is owned by the US, and the part that is not
is greatly funded by the US.

I guess the parts that that are not funded by the US could take away the
access, but who would that hurt the most?

>From my count 10 of the 13 servers are with US based organizations with
three of them being run by the federal government and one operated by a
state government. With two based in Europe and one in Japan.

I guess those three could cut US access with little legal ramification.