I hardly ever leave mine unattached anymore.  I bring mine to work,
hook up an extra usb cord and use winamp to play it through my PC.  I
have a belkin power/audio adapter in the car.  I guess the only time
it's not hooked up anymore is when I'm on my bike.  I'm sure I'm
probably destroying my battery a little bit each day.