control.

Gruss Gott wrote:
> ''What has suffered irreversible damage is the credibility of our case
> officers when they try to convince an overseas contact that their
> safety is of primary importance to us," said Jim Marcinkowski, a
> former CIA case officer.

I'd agree with the potential for such damage, but not directly from any
conversation I've ever seen reported, or even alleged.

The potential damage described above comes from media publicity
campaigns for the idea that agents aren't safe -- the problem is caused
by the perception, not the reality.

This is similar to last season's murderous riots caused by the "koran
desecration" campaign, launched by Newsweek and picked up by the other
corporate news sources -- the US military took far more care of those
books than you do at Border's, and the inquiry did show multiple
desecrations, but from the detained warfield combatants! Those real
deaths occurred as a result of badly-told stories.

It's also related to media's massive over-exposure of the name "Valerie
Plame", of course. Whether she or other agents (either homebound office
analysts like Plame, or the actual agents assassinated through Philip
Agee's treachery) are or are not safe as a result of Plame-ish
conversations is hardly caused by the miniscule readership that Robert
Novak may enjoy. The reluctance to acknowledge such hypocrisy is most
startling.

In some ways, reality is a self-fulfilling dream. The stories told in
commercial media affect peoples' lives. It would be useful if those
stories were accurate and amenable to correction. They should also be
useful, because the over-emphasis on Plame, Wilson, Clarke and each of
the other monthly campaign themes takes away from true stories, such as
the lynchings of gays in Iran last week. The oppressed need our attention.

When you look into it, it's really remarkable how much human time has
been wasted through these Plame stories. The stories themselves kill
less human time than assassination would, be it's more a difference of
degree than of kind.

jd