Why not? If they accept the money then the Federal government should
have some say over it - for instance if a state refuses to make the
roads safer by changing laws and regulations, ie., safety belts and
raising the drinking age,  then they should not get federal highway
funds.

It is coercive but then again so is getting front ended by a drunken
18 year old.

He who pays the piper calls the tune and all that.

larry