No surprise that we're building long-term bases in Iraq. We we asked to vacate
Saudi Arabia, Kyrgyzstan is asking us to leave, Qatar is an unknown in my mind,
and Turkey screwed us in 2003. (Well, they screwed themselves out of $10
billion, but it's all about us, right? ;-) )

I think it has always been in the Pentagon's plan to establish long-term bases
in Iraq. Every place we have ever fought a significant action, we have
established long-term bases. And we have a habit of not vacating. Ever. The
places I can think of that we have totally vacated:

- Phillipines (by request)
- Saudi Arabia (by request)
- Vietnam (by U.S. decision to abandon the South Vietnamese)
- France? (I'm not sure we ever had long-term bases there after WWII)

Can anyone think of other places the U.S. has totally evacuated after a
long-term military presence?