Jews and Arabs. There have always been Jews in Israel and more came during
the time of WW2 (before and after). Look at the Rothschild land ownership
bills and you'll see huge swaths of land being bought. Look at the writings
of people like mark twain and you'll see how desolate the land once was.
Look at the old maps of swamps and deserts that existed before the modern
state.
In the beginning, the British mandate for Palestine (i.e. Jews were the only
ones called Palestinians at the time) was for what is now Israel and Jordan.
Britan gave 4/5ths of the land to Jordan and 1/5th was going to be split
between the Jews and the Arabs. The Arabs invaded once Israel was created
and many Arabs left based on both the war and propeganda from Egypt that
they should flee and come back. Israel won. Another attack, another Arab
defeat and more land to Israel. Israel gave back the ENTIRE saini to Egypt
for a cold peace (or cold war to be more exact).
At NO TIME was there ever a Palestine in Gaza or the West bank, even when
(and especially when) it was controled by Egypt and Jordan.