mmm not sure. My father's take on this (yes Tierney is an Irish
Catholic name) is that the British are an army of occupation there
maintaining an unjust system, and he immigrated rather than join. On
the other hand, as I see it, despite lo these many wrongs, people want
the killing to end.

Note - I have never been to Ireland, but my father covered several of
the oubreaks of violence for Canadian papers.

Dana