Rated movies submit themselves for ratings, which is generally required
for being shown in theatres.  Video releases, however, don't have to be
rated.  Basically, the rating is only necessary if you want someone else
to show your movie in public.

So, given that porn sites aren't getting paid by theatres to have the
movies shown, what's the overriding reason they'll go with this system?

Not that I necessarily disagree with the .xxx suffix.  I just don't
think "x-rated stuff goes here" is enforcable.

--Ben