But this is exactly the point, I think: how do you define "special" or,
better, "most successful" species?

For nearly all intents and purposes the ant is in the most successful
species on Earth (the total mass of ants on the planet far, FAR exceeds the
total mass of mammels).  The cockroach and the termite are also in this
group.

But even leaving the insect realm can you really say that humans are a more
successful species than the rat?

Technology makes us "special" only because we invented it and DECIDED that
it made us special.  I could wear a tutu and a sing "I feel pretty" but that
doesn't make it so.

Judging my any universal criteria: birth rate, survivability, ability for
cooperation, etc - we're far down the list.

Jim Davis