+1000

I grew up in a different country and went through a somewhat different
system. Canada has no pledge of allegiance, and much looser church and
state laws. But here there seems to be far more intrusions in the
educational process by groups that really have no real legal, or in my
opinion, moral right to be involved.

It is to society's benefit to sponsor education. Its also to its
benefit for the individual to have the right to withdraw from
society's sponsored education. But to what extent do outside groups,
such as church's and political groups of all stripes, have the right
to interfere? At this stage now, we consider that we cannot legislate
morality and ethics. Nor that it is right for the public/government to
rule and regulate religions, reasoning in part that it is somewhat
beyond the public sphere of action. So shouldn't it also be the other
way, shouldn't religion keep its collective nose out of public
matters? If a group feels otherwise, they do have the right to
withdraw from the educational system, and teach their kids whatever
they want. But why should they inflict thier idea of morality and
religion on public education?

larry

larry