> Deanna wrote:
> Even when there is a strong desire to be self-sufficient, breaking out of
> poverty is much more difficult than you suggest.

Well, I was the only one to attend college in my family so I had to
blaze my own trail.  I grew up lower middle class and had few role
models.  What that means is that you're odd to even go to college and,
if you do, you don't know what to study or what the tricks are to
bypass the usual "paying your dues" route to financial security.

Since I choose to move away to college I was "homeless" for a good
year;  that is, too poor to pay rent.  Of course I always had a home
to fall back on should things really get tough, so I can't compare it
to people truly on their own.  I also had no car.

I don't mean the minimize the work, however I'm saying it's possible
*with* work.  That is, people have a choice.  It may not be fair or
attractive, but it's a choice.  If you're poor in, say, Mexico you've
got no choice.

The reason I'm not sure I like the pull on the heartstrings is because
it may emphasize the problem rather than the solution.

I said it before, but I think the movie Hustle & Flow really
highlights what it's like to be poor.