Its quite hard to teach some of the tests that are used in educational
assessment, such as the Stanford-Binet and some measures administered
and developed by the Educational Testing Service. At the same time the
NCLB tests are a farce, because they are easily accessible. As for
teaching the test, it happens in both public and charter schools. One
was closed in the DC area recently specifically because they were
doing just that.

However the question I was addressing was educational performance and
school choice. The question being was that using market forces would
improve schools. Charter schools and school voucher programs are the
nearest analogy to the "market choice." And using measures of
educational attainment is a good performance indicator. If it can be
shown that there is no real difference between public schools and
"market choice" alternatives using objective measures that sort of
negates the idea that a free market could do better.

As for problem solving skills etc, there are quite a few programs
teaching it, and some tests. http://www.antiwrap.com/?743  give the
results of a search on scholar.google.com for problem solving skills
and 4th grade.

larry