> Dana wrote:
> Paris is a great city, sorry. Lived there for hmm, three years I
> think. Plus another year in the far suburbs (Chantilly) and a few
> months in the Loire Valley.

Also lived there (just outside, St. Cloud), and I totally agree.

Once, about 2 years ago, I was rushing to the airport and stopped
quick at a Nicolas for some presents.  Well the shopkeep could see me
sizing up my luggage for bottles so she ran in the back and come out
with all of them neatly wrapped in bubblewrap.  The cheese guy
vacuumed sealed my cheese so the customs people wouldn't smell it!
And I didn't ask for any of it - they just did it to be helpful.

I can top that, though, in Tokyo.

My wife and I were standing at one of the subway ticket machines
totally dumbfounded by kanji.  Finally this nice guy comes up,
explains how it works, gets our tickets for us, and takes us onto the
train and then gets off at our stop.  As he gets back on the train he
gives us his business card and says to call him if we need more help.
Now THAT'S polite.