> Dana wrote:
> I know I have made the comparison before but how did the British disengage
> from Belfast? Because I really think it's a similar situation. We have
> become the problem.

The US has failed to secure Iraq despite being in-country for years.
So the question becomes why can't the US secure it?  2 answers:

1.) Terrorists are flocking in.  Some to shoot at Americans, others
for who-knows-why.
2.) The US is unable to to stop #1.

So, at a minimum, we're looking at a failure of leadership starting at
the President.

Now - where do we go from here?  Well, we can try:

1.) Locking down the borders with more troops and securing the
country.  What happens now that there's law and order?

2.) We can pull back (not out) and see if the number of incoming and
active terrorists diminishes such that the Iraqis can restore law and
order.  What happens?

Personally I don't think #2 will work so the only solution is more troops.