Pretty simple.

In the player itself (the "library" view) you can just click on an item and
change it.  Or you can select multiple items, right-click an item (like
"Genre") and choose "edit" and it will apply the change to all selected
files (this last bit isn't completely obvious but works the same way as
Windows Explorer so it's not without precedent).

To really get into a file or a group of files you can choose the "Advanced
Tag Editor" (from a right click) which gives you access to all the
information including lyrics, pictures and comments.

A nice feature here is that for a group of files you have to check a box
before you can edit certain fields - this prevents you from accidentally
setting the "track number" (for example) of a group of files to the same
value.

You can also edit much of this information in the file itself in Windows
Explorer (right click a file, choose "properties" and most of the common
options will be available for editing).

Nearly all of the information is maintained as part of the file itself so
transferring your music from one system to another is simple.

Lastly you can also access the WMP library via script so you can, if you're
that geeky, write a script to add/change information.

The library settings are as invasive as you want them to be: you can set the
player not to ever make any changes to the files, to always make changes and
sort them or something in between.

Personally I've mine set to NOT sort files (I like my directory structure)
but to change the name of the file (I prefer name of track only) and to fill
in any information not already present from the internet.

This works out great for me.  I place some ugly named files in my watched
folders and the player automatically renames them to my specification, fills
in missing information but doesn't shuffle them around.

Essentially if you're comfortable with file operations in Windows Explorer
you have little problem.  Right-click is your friend.

I've never heard of any problems with files becoming unplayable in other
players... but I keep all my music in WMA anyway.  One potential "gotcha":
you can set up the player to rip WMA files WITH DRM - don't do it (turn the
option off).  If you do you might not be able to play them elsewhere.

Jim Davis